Saturday, September 27, 2014

The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari


I took time out to watch an interesting movie entitled “The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari” (1920).  I for one am not too fond of silent movies, maybe because of the time it was made, but this movie was quite interesting.   This movie had action, suspense and murder.  Everything a growing boy needs in a movie.  One scene in this movie caught my eye.  It was the scene of the murder of Master Alan.  When the old lady ran into Mr. Francis telling him the news, Mr. Francis took as if he had just lost his own brother.  His facial expression is what drew my attention and his body language showed as if he was going to pass out any minute.  The over exaggeration of a person dying is what caught my attention. 

How this scene connects with the class in my opinion is how the scene ties in with expressionism.  Because the film is a silent film, the movements and the expression of the actors is what is most important that the dialogue.  The conversation is the movement between two or more people, other that the expression of words.  All in all, great short film.

No comments:

Post a Comment